Accident abroad claims solicitors

Injury claim in Majorca settles for £5,000

Boyd Rice Solicitors were instructed to act on behalf of Mrs B in relation to her injury claim arising from a fall whilst on holiday in Majorca. Our client was going down wooden steps leading from the chalet where she was staying. Our client instructed that there was no handrail, the lighting was poor and the steps were uneven causing her to lose her footing.

Mrs B sustained a deep laceration to her right leg, she was taken to hospital and the wound was closed with sutures. She was left with a visible scare.

Court proceedings were issued against Jet2 Limited under The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018. The case was settled out of Court in the sum of £5,000 plus costs.

Following the successful conclusion of her claim our client commented as follows;

“Handled very efficiently, promptly and very professionally”    


If you have been involved in an accident abroad and would like to arrange a free consultation please contact us by phone on 02891 817715 or by email

Personal Injury Specialist Solicitors

Injury claim arising from RTA on Mill Street, Newtownards settles for £7,000

Boyd Rice Solicitors were instructed to act on behalf of Mrs T in relation to her claim for loss and damage arising from a road traffic accident .

Our client instructed that she was the restrained front seat passenger in a car being driven by her husband. The car was moving at road speed when another vehicle exited a car park and drove into the car. The Police and Ambulance Services were not required to attend the scene and details of the subject accident were locally resolved.

Following the accident, our client was referred to Ards Minor Injuries Unit before being transferred via emergency ambulance to the Ulster Hospital for assessment of neck pain and lower back pain. She sought further medical advice from her GP which resulted in Mrs T attending physiotherapy.

Court proceedings were issued against the at fault driver. The case was settled out of Court and resolved in Mrs T’s favour in the sum of £7,000 plus costs.

Following the successful conclusion of her claim our client commented as follows;

“I instructed Boyd Rice Solicitors to act on my behalf, I am very pleased with the settlement and will continue to use Boyd Rice in the future.”

If you have been involved in a similar accident please contact us on 02891 817715, or by email and let us explain how we can help you.

Building Control

Selling a Property after carrying out Works

Failure to follow the Building Control Regulations can delay your sale

When you decide to sell your property and you put your to-do list together it might look something like this;
1. Speak to an estate agent and get a rough valuation;
2. Check with your mortgage company as to how much is left to repay;
3. Decide whether you’re going to rent or buy post-sale;
4. Find a deep cleaning company to make the property look presentable to prospective buyers;
5. Find a gardener to tidy the outside;
6. Consider what items in the house you might throw away.

One thing that might be far from the forefront of your mind is what to do about all the work you have had done to the property. Surely if the work was done a few years ago and there’s been no problems then that’s the end of the matter? Possibly not if you didn’t follow the Building Control Regulations.

Building Control Regulations

The Building Control Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 are legal requirements which lay down levels of performance for the construction of buildings and installation of some services. The rationale is that they help to protect the health and safety of people in or around buildings by raising standards.

Some works are covered by the Regulations and some works are exempt. Works covered by the Regulations include; replacement of a boiler; installation of a new central heating system; installation of cavity wall or roof space installation; installation of a wood fired burner. On the other hand replacing your whole kitchen or bathroom is exempt. To find out whether the work you have carried out is covered see here.

Completion Certificates

If you were to do everything by the book (or should we say – by the Regulations) you would give your local council’s Building Control department notice, in advance, that you are going to carry out works covered by the Regulations and submit your plans. Their surveyor could then come out to inspect the work at various stages, depending on what is being done, and at the end they would inspect and give a Completion Certificate. If you do happen to have one you do not need to worry about reading the rest of this article! Just make sure you keep this safe and give it to your solicitor whenever you come to sell your property.

Regularisation Certificates

So what if you haven’t got a Completion Certificate, how do you get around this? It depends on when the work was carried out. If it was completed more than ten years ago then you can relax and put the feet up (that time limit is reduced to five years for the installation or conversion of a central heating system). If the unauthorised work was carried out within that time then a solicitor for a prospective purchaser can insist on the production of a Regularisation Certificate. This is a retrospective sign off of the works carried out. It will cost a little more than if you had applied at the outset but it will confirm for the purchaser’s satisfaction that the works have been carried out to an appropriate standard. If the prospective purchaser is buying with the assistance of a mortgage company, the lender is very unlikely to let the sale go through with the production of such a certificate.

Potential for delay

Sometimes these issues don’t arise until a few weeks into the conveyancing process when the parties realise there are unauthorised works which need to be cleared. This means the vendor has to make the relevant application to the local council, the local council has to send out a surveyor and the surveyor has to draft up a certificate. This can cause unnecessary delay and, in some circumstances, cause an impatient buyer to go elsewhere.

The lesson then is when you decide to sell your property, and you’re putting together your to-do list, have a think about all of the work you’ve had done to the property. Is there a valid Completion Certificate? If not, then make your application to your local council as you won’t be able to sell your property without getting retrospective approval.

If you would like advice in relation to any issue regarding the Building Control Regulations, or the sale of a property, please give us a call on 02891 817715 or contact our property team by email at

hearing loss claims solicitors

Do you work in construction or industry? Have you developed Hearing loss or Tinnitus?

Boyd Rice Solicitors have successfully recovered compensation on behalf of clients who have sustained damage to their hearing as a result of their employer failing to provide adequate protection. We have successfully recovered compensation against the following local employers;


  • Shorts
  • Bombardier
  • Harland and Wolff
  • Ford
  • Visteon
  • James Mackie and sons
  • Ministry of Defence
  • British Enkalon
  • Crepe Weavers
  • Donaghadee Carpets
  • Carpets International
  • Spence Bryson Carpets Ltd
  • Regency Carpet Manufacturing Company Ltd
  • LE Pritchett (NI) Ltd

We offer a free initial consultation and can facilitate meetings outside of normal working hours. Please give us a call on 02891 817715 or Belfast on 02890387060 or email;

Personal Injury Specialist Solicitors

What should you do if you are involved in a road traffic accident?

Unfortunately, the vast majority of us will be involved in a road traffic accident at some stage in our lives. It is important to know what to do in this situation. Many of the suggested points are obvious and are included only for the sake of completeness!

We would suggest that you follow the guide below;

1. Stop the car and turn your engine off.
2. Do not accept liability.
3. Record the following information-
-Other driver’s name, address and vehicle registration;
– The make and model of the other vehicle;
– A description of the driver;
– Their insurance details (if they have them);
– Location of your accident;
– Time of your accident;
4. Take photographs of your vehicle and the other vehicle;
5. Phone the Police if you are injured and record their reference number.
6. Phone Boyd Rice Solicitors for advice on what to do next.

How we help you.

The reason why we suggest you contact us at the earliest possible opportunity is to enable us to provide you with advice on liability. Liability just means who is at fault for the accident.

Liability can be decided in three ways;
1. 100% the other driver’s fault
In this case, if you are injured, you may be entitled to compensation. If you are not injured then your main concern will be getting your vehicle assessed and securing a replacement vehicle. We can do this for you and in doing so will always strive to ensure that your insurance is not affected, even temporarily, by the accident. One of the biggest issues that people have after an accident is having the hassle of making a number of phone calls to their insurance company. We will take the hassle away from you.

2. Partly your fault (split liability)
This is where it gets tricky and the advice of a Solicitor is imperative. Liability is divided between you and the other driver, usually on a percentage basis. In the absence of any independent witnesses to the accident it is commonplace for your insurance company to try to split liability with the other driver’s insurer. Many of our clients approach us when their insurer has suggested that liability should be split. This is the easy way out for them. A liability split will mean that your premium will go up.

Our previous case studies demonstrate that we can take the decision making away from your insurance company. We will always put you first and seek full liability against the other driver even if that means taking the case to Court.

3. 100% your fault
In this scenario we will give you advice on what to do next. If you have the benefit of fully comprehensive insurance cover this simply means speaking to your insurance company and letting them deal with the accident. Always best to speak to us first in any event.

Consequences of road traffic accidents.

1. A damaged vehicle/ a vehicle that will be “written off”
Almost all accidents will lead to vehicle damage. Your vehicle will be assessed by an engineer to determine whether it can be repaired. If the cost of repairing your vehicle is greater than its pre-accident value then your vehicle will be declared a “total loss” and will be “written off”. Your insurer may make you pay your insurance excess to the repairing garage or the excess could be deducted from the cheque you receive in respect of the pre-accident value of your vehicle.
If the accident was not your fault your insurance should not be affected at all and you should not be out of pocket. Ring us before your insurance company.
If you drive a relatively new car, it may depreciate in value after an accident. We can arrange for an assessment to be carried out by an independent engineer to determine whether depreciation applies. If it does, you are entitled to compensation in that regard.

2. Injuries
Soft tissue injuries often referred to as “whiplash” are commonplace after a road traffic accident. If the accident was the other driver’s fault or even partially the other driver’s fault you may be entitled to compensation. We will arrange for you to be examined by a medical expert in order to support your claim for injuries. The expert will provide us with a report detailing your symptoms and we will send you a copy of the report. If you require physiotherapy we can recover the cost of this on your behalf.

3. Loss of earnings
You may need time off work as a result of the accident. We will liaise with your employer to calculate any loss of earnings and will recover these on your behalf. Even if you receive full pay there may be a clause in your contract entitling your employer to recover the wages advanced to you during your absence from work. Again, we will liaise with your employer to determine whether this applies.

To conclude, being involved in an accident will always cause stress/ inconvenience and unfortunately injuries are commonplace. Boyd Rice Solicitors have an experienced team of Solicitors who will always put you first. Speaking to us at an early stage (even before your insurance company) will take the majority of the stress and inconvenience away from you enabling you to concentrate on getting over the actual shock of being involved in the accident.

For further information or advice please contact us on 02891 817715 or email

We always answer any queries within 1 hour and can facilitate home meetings or meetings outside of normal working hours.

We are on your side.

Car accident claims solicitor

Road traffic accident Saintfield Road, Belfast

Boyd Rice Solicitors were instructed to act on behalf of Mr C in relation to his personal injury claim. Our client instructed that he was the driver in a vehicle which was travelling along the main road in Belfast when a tractor pulled out in front of him resulting in a head on collision. The impact to our client’s vehicle was so severe that the airbags deployed.

Our client’s left knee struck the console of his car. Upon exiting his vehicle he quickly realised that he was unable to move his knee. He was brought to hospital in an ambulance where an x-ray confirmed that he had sustained a fractured left patella. This would require a lengthy period of rehabilitation to include physiotherapy.

Court proceedings were issued and liability was established against the other driver. Our client attended medical appointments with leading Consultants and an MRI scan was arranged. This would enable the medical expert to get a complete picture of the extent of the damage and provide a long-term prognosis for recovery. Negotiations took place in the High Court by way of a joint consultation and the case settled in the sum of £42,500 plus costs.

Following the successful conclusion of his claim our client commented as follows;
“Boyd Rice solicitors made a long and difficult process as stress-free as possible.”

If you have been involved in a serious accident it is crucial that you obtain legal advice at the earliest possible opportunity. Please contact us by phone on 02890387060 or by email

Do you work in industry or construction? Do you use vibrating hand-held tools at work for prolonged periods?

Have you developed hand conditions such as Vibration White Finger, Hand/Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS), Raynaud’s Phenomenon or Carpel Tunnel Syndrome?

Boyd Rice Solicitors have an experienced team of Solicitors who have recovered compensation for clients in actions against their current or former employers. We may be able to help even if the Company that you used to work for no longer exists. Working in construction or industry can place significant strain on your hands and unfortunately this can lead to conditions which will affect you on a daily basis for the rest of your life. Using any of the following tools for prolonged periods can be harmful to your arms or hands;

– Kango hammers
– Pneumatic jack hammers
– Drills
– Chain saws
– Grinders
– Sanders
– Bucking bars
– Hydraulic breakers

Using this type of equipment can also lead to hearing loss.

If you have developed a hand/arm condition as a result of your employment please give us a call to arrange a consultation. Our initial consultation is completely confidential, without obligation and free of charge. Please ring our Newtownards office on 02891 817715or Belfast on 02890387060 or email