Buying a New Build Home
Quality; Cost Efficiency; Attractiveness. Just three of the reasons you may consider purchasing a new build home but is there anything specific to new builds that should give you pause for thought?
There has been a property development boom in the Ards area over recent years and this trend is going to continue for quite some time. The Rivenwood project will see 1,000 homes built in the Moville Road area. Around 500 new homes at Millmount Village have been given the green light. A major development in Bangor will see 550 new homes. Many more of you will be purchasing a new build in the years to come, or even employing someone to build a home for you from scratch. This means you need to be aware of some extra steps you should take when it comes to buying one of these properties.
Please call us to discuss these steps, but for your ease of reference we have listed some of the most important;
- Check the property is protected by a good warranty provided by a reputable company, eg: the National House Building Council’s ten-year Buildmark warranty and insurance. Depending on the developer they may use other warranty providers;
- If the property is not covered by the NHBC, or an equivalent warranty, check that the final building control certificate is available;
- Check the builder is registered with the NHBC by visiting their online register. This will help protect you against your builder becoming insolvent or committing a fraud;
- If your builder is not registered with the NHBC check that you will be offered cover from another reputable company;
- Visit the site to see if its tidy and well managed;
- Inspect your property carefully before you take possession;
- Post moving in, report any defects to your builder (keep a copy of any written correspondence). If you wish we can write to the builder on your behalf. We can also write to the NHBC if the response from the builder is not satisfactory.
When you are happy with the bona fides of the builder and the construction of the house we will look after the conveyance of the property to you.
How we Help you Purchase your Property
- We will review the deeds to the property to make sure that you are receiving good title. You do not want to buy a property and find something untoward a number of years down the line. You can rely on us to protect you.
- We will review your survey report to ensure there are no physical defects apparent.
- We will check all property certificates, searches and replies to pre-contract enquiries provided by the seller’s solicitor.
- We will check your mortgage offer and discuss it with you;
- We will liaise on your behalf with your bank, insurance company, building society and mortgage broker;
- We will review the contract of sale as drawn up by the seller’s solicitor;
- We will meet with you to discuss in detail the title deeds and any conditions in the deeds you must adhere to;
- We will guide you through completion and process all payments in a timely fashion;
- We will ensure that your stamp duty land tax return is sent to HMRC and your duty is paid;
- All necessary land registry formalities will be attended to.
The Wills Imperative
Investing in a property? We would recommend that you draft a will to ensure control over your legacy. Please see our Wills and Probate department for further advice.
As with all of our services, initial enquiries are completely free of charge. You will be under no obligation to instruct us and we will be delighted to help in any way that we can. We will provide you at the outset with estimates of all our fees and charges. We are strongly of the opinion that transparency is important in developing a strong relationship with our clients.
Free Initial Consultation, Speak to our Specialist Solicitor
- Ben manages the property department in Boyd Rice Solicitors.
- He has a particular focus on residential conveyancing.
- Ben works closely with some of the biggest property developers in the province.
- Call Ben for a free no-obligation consultation and competitive estimate of fees.
- For further information, please have a look at Ben’s client testimonials on Google, he is renowned for his excellent client service.